Saturday, September 29

PSA - Don't be a dick!

This is an open letter to the anyone who has ever yelled at/argued with/been ignorant to a person who is trying to provide a service to you.

I just want to state that you need to climb down off of your high horse and you need to get the hell over yourself. Everyday I face more abuse from customers that come into my workplace than I have ever endured outside of work. This brings me to my first point...



I don't care if you're coming in to buy a pack of cigarettes or a case of beer. If I ask for your ID, show me your damn ID. Don't say "I'm 28" or "My birthday is 7/26/87." I don't care. You want to know what I do care about? Seeing your ID. 

For example, this past week I was called a Bitch for telling a woman that looked no older than maybe 24 that I needed to see her ID for her to buy her beer. She said that I was being "F*cking ridiculous" for not selling the beer to her. Finally after yelling at me she pulled out her wallet and flipped it open showing that her ID was inside the entire time. I kindly asked her to take the ID out so that I could scan it (as per company policy), this is where it got fun. "It doesn't come out," attitude seething from every pore, "you can see my birthday." 
Side note: Don't argue with the person that you are trying to buy alcohol from. We're allowed to turn down the sale for damn near any reason. We don't very often turn people down except in situations having to do with age or IDs but start arguing with me about the fact that you don't want to pull your ID out of your wallet and I will NOT sell you your booze.
We all know where this story goes, the woman copped attitude with me, yelled at me, called me names and insulted me, then stated that she was "never coming back to this store again," but this is no surprise to me. I am not heartbroken by this revelation because I know you'll be back another day. This isn't the first time that I've dealt with you being an ass.


And here is where we come to the next stupid little thing that asshole customers berate us about...
I'm sorry, but sometimes we run out of things. I really can't help that. I have very little control over these things. Oh no! We're out of your snuff! I'm sorry Sir but we get our delivery truck approximately every other day and they only send us 1 or 2 rolls of the snuffs that we don't sell much of. I'm sorry that another man came in and bought all that we had yesterday. I can't turn down a sale because I need to save a few cans for you when I don't have any idea that you are going to buy it. Get over yourself. Stock fluctuates, people buy stuff, and there are shortages/strikes/disasters/local events that may effect our supply levels. How hard is this to understand?

I'm not saying that I don't care, because I do. I genuinely feel bad when I have to tell a customer that I am out of something, and have to ask them if they would like to have anything in its place or if they would like a refund (or to cancel their order). I feel bad and I try to fix the situation to the best of my ability as quickly as possible. What I'm saying is that I am absolutely enraged when I apologize and offer to you everything that I am able to offer to you and you still yell at me or get pissed off at me. Don't yell at me if I run out of tomatoes. I understand that you wanted them on your sandwich but I'm sorry, if we don't have any yelling at me won't change that situation. Please understand this and remember this!

I could go on and on about the way that I am treated by customers on a daily basis but I really don't want to be sitting here staring at my computer pissed off because I'm thinking about this crap. I also want to state that honestly the wonderfully nice customers, the regulars that come in, or even the random strangers that are awesome far outweigh the idiots and the drunks and the jerks. But as with everything the few bad apples can ruin the whole bunch (woah cliche). I love my job and I love my customers. I love talking to all of the different people that come through the doors everyday and the fun that I have makes it easier to deal with the ridiculousness that happens and because of that I can sit here and rant a bit, hoping that someone will read this and then not be a dick to someone else. I guess that would be the moral of the story - "Don't be a dick."

(I promise my next post will be less bitchy. =D)

No comments:

Post a Comment